EdTech Reflection 3: Author Name / Teacher Name

After our EDCI 336 class had a guest presentation that talked about educator’s use of social media, I realized something about how my digital footprint could evolve. Currently, I have no published music or stories, but in the future I likely will. In that case, my being an educator influences the decision on whether to publish under my own name or a pseudonym. So it’s kind of lucky I haven’t published anything yet, and still have time to think about it.

The two novels I’ve worked on so far would likely be marketed as YA, with broad themes of dealing with emotional scars. Of course there is a basic conflict of interest possible between myself as a teacher and as an author. But actually, my main consideration is that in prose fiction, especially novels, one can infer the author’s beliefs, taste, and personality. So a student who finds and reads one of mine would form personal impressions that affect the student-teacher relationship.

hypothetical effects of publishing media under real name:

Pros

• no need to maintain disconnection between real name and pseudonym
  • possible student benefits:
    • catharsis due to theme
    • bonding with an adult
    • inspiration to be creative
    • getting into reading

Cons

• need to consciously avoid self-promotion
  • later works, if deemed too risky, would have to be published under pseudonym, and therefore could not contain textual connections to works under real name
  • possible student detriments:
    • reminders of traumatic memories
    • distaste for creative work could generalize to teacher and classroom

I am of the opinion that it is usually better to be honest and open, and that it improves relationships even with people who disagree with you at a fundamental level. But that does not settle this quandary!